Veterans Center

Eastern New Mexico University - Roswell

Veteran and Military Benefits

1 (575) 624-7447Request for Certification

Veterans Center

1 (575) 624-7447


Located in room 129 of the Learning Resource Center, 58 University Blvd., the ENMU-Roswell Veterans Center provides a centralized location for information on veteran resources and local assistance services in conjunction with NM Workforce Connection. The center includes a lounge area with large screen television, computers/printer, refrigerator, coffee maker, and filtered water dispenser. Students can utilize the center during open campus hours, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and from 8 a.m. to noon on Fridays. For information about the center, contact Veronica Munoz, Director of the Learning Resource Center, 1 (575) 624-7065.

Notice of Public Law 115-407

Sections 103 and 104

In accordance with the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018, section 3679(e) of title 38 (Public Law 115-407), a student who is entitled to educational assistance under Chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment, or Chapter 33, Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits shall be permitted to attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual provides to the educational institution a Certificate of Eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under Chapter 31 or 33 (a “Certificate of Eligibility” can also include a “Statement of Benefits” obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs’ website – eBenefits, or a VAF 28-1905 form for Chapter 31) and ending on the earlier of the following dates:

  • The date on which payment from VA is made to the institution.
  • 90 days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the Certificate of Eligibility.

The University shall not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or require the student to borrow additional funds, in order to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement funding from VA under Chapter 31 or 33.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

VA Educational Benefits

New VA Students

You must apply online through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Initial processing takes approximately 30 days from the time of application. You may call the regional office in Muskogee, OK at 1 (888) 442-4551 to check on the status of your paperwork. If eligible, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility, which must be submitted to the VACO (Veterans Affairs Certifying Officer)., located in the Student Services Center.

Returning VA Students

Each semester, returning VA Students must submit a request for certification form to the VACO. This form is available from the VACO in the Student Services Center, or online at: Veteran Request for Certification

All VA Students

You must notify VACO of ANY changes made to enrollment.

Most degree and certificate programs offered at ENMU-Roswell are approved for Veterans’ Administration educational benefits. The Veterans’ Administration (VA) WILL NOT fund courses other than courses those pertaining to the approved programs. (This does not apply to remedial courses.) It is the student’s responsibility to furnish the VACO with a degree plan for both Associate degree and Certificate programs at the initial certification period. The certifying official cannot certify veterans for courses taken outside the approved program.

The VACO is located in the Student Services Center, which serves as the Veterans’ Affairs center at ENMU‑Roswell. All necessary forms for applying for these benefits are available in that office. New Mexico Army National Guardsmen must provide Form 2384, Basic Eligibility for Army National Guard/Reserve, bearing the signature of the Educational Officer from State Headquarters in Santa Fe, before any benefits will be processed.

Students applying for veterans’ benefits should apply well in advance of the semester for which they are enrolling in order to allow the VA sufficient processing time.

Other Military Tuition Benefits

Tuition Payments Forgiven

HB 715 requires state-funded educational institutions to forgive tuition payments owed by residents of New Mexico when the student is conscripted or enters the military service on or after August 1, 1990. Also, the bill requests institutions credit students for the full amount of the payments made when students re-enroll in that institution at a future date.

Military Tuition Waiver/Financial Aid

We at ENMU- Roswell are committed to helping our military students and accustomed to developing their financial aid in conjunction with the additional governmental assistance they may receive. The following options are available to military students at ENMU – Roswell:

  • military out of state tuition waivers
  • academic scholarships
  • federal student aid

Each resource has application requirements, so plan early to meet any deadlines. For additional information on the resources listed above, please call 1 (575) 624-7447 or e-mail: [email protected]