New! 8-Week Training Classes! To Register or for more information, call 575-624-7376.
If you’ve been thinking about getting a Commercial Driver’s License, your time is now!
Enroll now for 8-week CDL Training classes at ENMU-Roswell. Students in 8-week classes must have a Commercial Learner’s Permit. Employment opportunities are great with this valuable career credential.
The Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Training Program is designed to prepare students for the New Mexico CDL written examination to obtain the Class “A” CDL operator License to become a commercial truck driver. Students will receive classroom instruction and hands-on experience behind the wheel from an ENMU-Roswell CDL Licensed instructor and internship experience in various industry settings. Instruction is based on the New Mexico CDL Manual which includes Pre-trip Inspection, Backing Skills and Air Brakes. Also covered are hours of service, weight and balance, and city and highway driving. Safety is emphasized as well as equipment knowledge based on State and Federal Department of Transportation (DOT) rules and regulations.
A Certificate of Employability (17 credit hours) is provided upon successful completion of the CDL training program. Students must be 18 years of age, have a valid New Mexico driver’s license and U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent residence status in the United States, and pass the Department of Transportation (DOT) medical exam and drug screening.
Program Learning Outcomes
In addition to supporting institutional learning outcomes and building upon the foundational general education outcomes, upon completion of this program students will be able to:
- Students will demonstrate safe driving techniques.
- Students will conduct pre-trip and post-trip inspections.
- Students will demonstrate safe coupling and uncoupling techniques.
- Students will demonstrate safe shifting, backing and maneuvering.
- Students will complete documents pertaining to cargo, hazardous materials, mileage and trip sheets.
- Students will complete log books accurately.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of the laws and regulations pertaining to the operation of a commercial vehicle.
- Students will be able to operate tractor-trailer/tanker safely on surface streets, highways, and freeways, complying with all regulations.
- Students will use the obtained skills to take the State CDL exam and be qualified for employment in the transportation industry.