The Special Services Program provides an important component in the comprehensive community college mission of ENMU-Roswell by providing specialized certificate programs in Food Service, Office Skills, Child Care Attendant, Building Maintenance, Auto Mechanics, Veterinary Assistant, Stocking and Merchandising, Animal Healthcare, and Special Topics.

The programs are designed for students who have disabilities, but who, with occupational training, are able to obtain entry-level positions in competitive employment. Class sizes are small, and emphasis is on the completion of the skills necessary for employment.

Neither a high school diploma nor the placement test is required (unless the student is applying for financial aid, in which case both documents are required). You must be accepted to the University before you can apply to this program. However, admission into ENMU-Roswell does not ensure admission into the Special Services Occupational Training program.

Entrance Requirements for the Special Services Occupational Training Program

The following criteria and/or documentation will be used to help determine acceptance into the program:

  1. A professional vocational assessment, less than two years old, showing the student’s abilities and skills in relation to the specific vocation of interest.
  2. Documentation and full disclosure of medical/developmental disabilities.
  3. Minimum 18 years of age.
  4. Self-medicate with no assistance. The ability to follow directions from nurse, doctor, or pharmacy and manage medical and psychological issues appropriately and to take the appropriate medicine at the right time.
  5. Independently awaken to an alarm clock and demonstrate the ability to get to all classes and practicum sites on time.
  6. Maintain appropriate personal hygiene/laundry/dorm room.
  7. Demonstrate effective communication skills (read and write) including the ability to process information, follow instructions from faculty and staff, and respond appropriately. Demonstrate appropriate social behavior including ability to get along with peers and follow rules.
  8. Meet minimum entrance requirements for the selected study discipline.
  9. Tetanus vaccination within 10 years. If going into Child Care, TdaP; if going into Veterinary Assistant, it is recommended to have the current rabies vaccination.

Limited health services are available to students on campus and are provided by a certified family nurse practitioner. The nurse practitioner will diagnose and treat common illnesses. The student is responsible for the following within a 24-hour period:

  • Transporting himself/herself to and from appointments and pharmacies in town.
  • Obtaining and paying for prescription and recommended nonprescription treatment.
  • Following recommended treatment plan as written.
  • Self-administering medication.
  • Notifying the office immediately of any change in medications.
  • Presenting medical clearance and release reports to the office upon return to classes.

In the event a student needs to see a physician for more extensive medical treatment, it is the responsibility of the student (and the parent/guardian) to find additional services and insure that the medical provider accepts their insurance. We encourage students to have a local primary care provider set up prior to the beginning of each semester.

In case of a major emergency, the staff at ENMU-Roswell will activate the emergency response (i.e., call 911 for an ambulance at the student’s expense and notify parent/guardian). The staff of ENMU-Roswell will not always remain with the student during their medical care; the faculty and staff do not take responsibility for transporting students to and from medical appointments. Once the student arrives at the medical facility, the provider becomes responsible for the student’s care.

With the exception of Special Topics, the occupational programs have been approved for Federal Financial Aid assistance. Potential students are encouraged to apply for Federal Financial Aid by completing the FAFSA, which can be obtained through the Financial Aid office. In addition, students are encouraged to apply through the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) for possible financial assistance.

Students who complete all program requirements will receive a Certificate of Occupational Training (COT). The COT requires:

  • A minimum of 50 credit hours for the first-year program (25 core 1 credit hours, and 25 vocational credit hours for each program);
  • A minimum of 48 credit hours for the second-year program (23 core 2 credit hours and 25 vocational credit hours for each program);
  • A minimum grade of “C” in all vocational courses, labs, and practicums/co-ops; and
  • A 2.0 overall GPA.