Chair/Strategist: Edna Yokum
Deputy Chair: Annemarie May
Communication/Campus Liaison: Donna Oracion
Secretary: Dina Jenks
Treasurer: Destinee Salayandia
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Mission Statement
ENMU-Roswell promotes equity for the university community by leading efforts and building sustainable partnerships to transform the campus into a welcoming environment for all. The University respects and encourages diversity of thought and representation. We recognize that excellence rests on how we value, engage, and include the rich cultures of students, staff, faculty, administrators, and alumni.
Institution Goals for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
I. Create a structure that leads and sustains diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts.
II. Expand and support the diversity of the Institution’s student population and close the opportunity gap.
III.Expand and support the diversity of the Institution’s workforce by creating an environment and processes that will attract, retain, and advance the most diverse pool of job applicants possible.
IV. Ensure a welcoming and inclusive environment for all, top to bottom.
V. Develop data measures and use collected data to inform decisions about DEI. Include relevant DEI research to develop, measure, and achieve DEI goals.
Institutional Goal I: Create a structure that leads and sustains diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts.
- ENMU-Roswell will designate an institutional diversity, equity, and inclusion Strategist; additionally, ENMU-Roswell will identify staff and resources to support these efforts.
- ENMU-Roswell’s Strategist will provide leadership and coordination to create learning and work environments that are diverse, equitable, and inclusive.
- ENMU-Roswell’s Strategist will be accountable to the ENMU-Roswell President for facilitating movement towards goals.
- ENMU-Roswell’s Strategist will participate in meetings of Core Staff, as needed to fulfill, inform, and get support for implementation of the Diversity Plan Strategic Goals.
- ENMU-Roswell’s Strategist will report regularly to Institution and community constituencies on progress toward fulfilling the Diversity and Inclusion Plan Strategic Goals.
Institutional Goal II: Expand and support the diversity of the Institution’s student population and close the opportunity gap.
- Increase the diversity of college enrollment, and how it reflects the population in Roswell including first-generation college students, Indigenous Peoples, Latinx, African Americans, and students from other underrepresented populations.
- Improve the opportunity gap of underrepresented populations in institution’s service area, including the surrounding area near the campus.
- Examine and address nuances of student preparedness, growth, development, success, and goal attainment for different populations.
- Develop culturally responsive success mechanisms specifically tailored to ensure goal completion of underrepresented student populations.
- Develop and actively maintain community-based partnerships to encourage enrollment and success at ENMU-Roswell.
- Foster partnerships to strengthen educational opportunities in response to community needs.
- Fully engage all demographics and traditionally marginalized populations, including underserved populations surrounding the campus.
Institutional Goal III Expand and support the diversity of the Institution’s workforce by creating an environment and processes that will attract, retain, and advance the most diverse pool of job applicants possible.
- Engage and unite campus leadership, including Human Resources and external community constituencies, to actively pursue the equitable recruitment, retention, and advancement of underrepresented populations on
- Ensure applicant pools have applicants from underrepresented populations.
- Track and ensure equity in representation and compensation of workforce.
- Develop pathways and programs for equitable professional advancement of employees.
Institutional Goal IV: Ensure a welcoming and inclusive environment for all, top to bottom.
- Examine the climate, culture, interactions, and practices on campus and facilitate best practices to ensure ENMU-Roswell is a welcoming environment for all.
- Track and report to Core Staff on the inclusivity of committees, advancement opportunities, interactions and collaborations on and off campus to facilitate positive change at ENMU-Roswell.
- Provide or ensure access to DEI training to include implicit bias training, cultural awareness, multiculturalism, culturally responsive pedagogy, and distinctions between equity v. equality.
- Leverage Roswell’s diverse community as collaborators to make the campus a center of community activity to engage all college students.
Institutional Goal V: Develop data measures and use collected data to inform decisions about DEI. Include relevant DEI research to develop, measure, and achieve DEI goals.
- Develop baseline data and identify gaps relevant to diverse populations in Roswell’s service area.
- Develop baseline data and identify gaps in equity of wages, representation, and advancement opportunities.
- Use baseline data to clarify objectives, current status, and future efforts.
- Develop a glossary/definitions foundational document. Some terms to be included (but not limited to): diversity, inclusion, equity, opportunity gap, underrepresented communities.
Nika Najafova, Chair, Student Group
Stephanie Venegas-Chair, Personnel Group
Edna Yokum, Chair, Welcoming Group