To receive financial aid from the aid programs you must:

Have financial need, except for some loan programs.

  • Have a high school diploma or General Education Development (GED) Certificate, pass a test approved by the U.S. Department of Education, or meet other standards your state establishes that are approved by the U.S. Department of Education
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Have a valid Social Security Number
  • Register with Selective Service, if required
  • Sign a statement of educational purpose and a certification statement on overpayment and default (both found on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  • Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program. NOTE: Audit Courses are counted towards regular enrollment and Financial Aid will not pay for these courses.
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress

Academic Progress

Students who receive financial aid must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress which is defined by Federal Regulations in conjunction with Institutional Policies. Satisfactory Academic Progress is considered to be maintaining a grade point average of 2.0 or better in both semester and cumulative grades. The student must also have a 67% or better completion rate. If a withdrawal from a class or from all classes causes the student to change registration status (full-time, three-quarter time, half-time or below half-time) the student will be placed on probation for the next semester of attendance. ENMU-Roswell's Financial Aid Office reviews academic progress each semester.

Students placed on Warning are required to complete all hours they register for with a 2.0 grade point average or better. The warning period is for one semester unless the attempted/cumulative completion rate is below 67%. Failure to meet the terms of the warning period will result in denial of financial aid until the student pays for and successfully completes one semester with a 2.0 GPA. In this case the student must complete all the hours registered for and must register for at least 6 credit hours.
Students who claim extenuating circumstances, which contributed to loss of financial aid, may submit an appeal to the Financial Aid Office for reinstatement of financial aid. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for deadline dates for appeals.

Financial Aid Time Frame

The Financial Aid Office also monitors time frame for all students on financial aid. Financial aid regulations state that a school must set a maximum time frame in which a student is expected to finish a program of study.
For an undergraduate program, the maximum time frame may not exceed 150% of the published length of the program. The studen'ts listed Program of Study is used to determine the maximum time frame of hours for financial aid at ENMU-Roswell.

The time frame limits apply to all of the financial aid programs at ENMU - Roswell. All credit hours attempted at other institutions are considered for time frame purposes whether or not financial aid was received.

Extension Of Time Frame Limits

Student who have exceeded the time frame limit and still have not completed their program of study may submit an appeal form to the Financial Aid Office for extension of time frame.

Financial Aid Appeal Process

The ENMU-Roswell Financial Aid appeals are reviewed by the Finiancial Aid Administration. An academic advisor is also available for questions regarding degree plans. An administrator reviews appeals submitted by students who have been denied financial aid due to unsatisfactory academic progress, or need to extend time frame for financial aid.

Students Transferring to ENMU-Roswell

The assessment of a student's academic progress will be based on the student's entire academic record to include all hours from other institutions, whether or not financial aid was received. Students transferring in will be placed on the corresponding academic progress based on academic performance at previous institution(s) and could also be placed on timeframe. A student's file will not be reviewed until it is complete so a student may not know his/her satisfactory academic progress eligibility until after the semester has begun.

Campus Based Federal Programs

The following are considered campus-based programs because they are administered directly by the Financial Aid Office. The amount of each grant or scholarship is determined by the Financial Aid Office with respect to available funds and need. Students must have financial need and be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours to participate in the campus-based programs.

  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
  • Federal Work- Study

Campus Based State Programs

  • New Mexico Work-Study (NWS)
  • New Mexico Lottery Scholarship
  • New Mexico Legislative Endowment
  • New Mexico 3% Scholarship Program
  • State Student Incentive Grant (LEAP)

New Mexico Work-Study was created to provide funding for employment opportunities for qualified undergraduate and graduate students. Employment can be through public post-secondary institutions; nonprofit educational institutions, state agencies and Commission on Higher Education approved nonprofit organizations.

New Mexico Student Incentive Grant - (LEAP) - This program is made available from a combination of state and federal grants. This award is need-based and amount will vary.

Loan For Service Programs

Allied Health Student and Nursing Student Loan-for-Service

The purpose of the Allied Health and Nursing Loan-for-Service Program is to increase the number of Allied Health and Nursing professionals in areas of the state which have experienced shortages, by making educational loans to students seeking certification or licensure in an eligible allied health or nursing field.

To be eligible the student must be enrolled in or accepted by an eligible public institution pursuing an eligible health profession, be enrolled at the time the loan is awarded and disbursed for at least half-time in a program leading to a health profession degree/certificate, must be U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen, must be a NM resident. The student must declare their intent to practice in a designated health professional shortage area in New Mexico.

Southeastern New Mexico Teacher's Loan-for-Service Program

The Teacher's Loan-for-Service Program was established by the New Mexico Legislature to increase the numbers of minority and handicapped educators in Southeastern New Mexico. The program requires as a condition of each loan that the student declare an intent to provide service for four (4) years at a public preschool, elementary or secondary school within Lea, Chaves, Otero, Eddy, or Roosevelt Counties in New Mexico. An award of up to $4,000 per year may be granted to a student who is working toward licensure as an educator or provider of related services (Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, Audiology, Diagnosis, School Psychology), and who is enrolled or accepted for enrollment at an eligible postsecondary institution with in New Mexico.