All first time, degree seeking, and certificate seeking students are required to visit the Advising and Retention Center. Most students are required to take the placement exam or provide Admissions and Records with ACT or SAT exemption scores with select few exceptions (visit the testing homepage to see if your program of study requires testing prior to registration). Please note that although the test may not be required by your program of study, class selection may be limited. Please see an academic advisor for further details.
During a student’s first visit, an academic advisor will…
- Review the student’s goals and ensure that the program of study the student declared on their submitted application for admissions is compatible with those stated goals.
- Explain the results of the placement exam or test exemption scores.
- Explain requirements for the listed program of study.
- Assist student in scheduling/registration of courses for the upcoming semester.
- Guide the student through the registration process while explaining how to register independently for future semesters.
- Answer any questions the student may have.