Prepare Chaves County public high school 10th and 11th grade students for college by addressing the most critical needs of students at risk of educational failure and ensuring that significantly more students successfully pursue postsecondary education.
- Increase student academic achievement, high school graduation rate, and college enrollment
- Increase parent/family involvement in school activities
- Transform instructional and intervention strategies at the partner schools, embedding them in those schools far beyond the seven-year grant period
Goals and Objectives:
- Provide students with academic intervention and enrichment; personal and career counseling; teacher professional development; and parent involvement.
- Design, implement, and evaluate programs that are responsive to student, parent/family, school, and community needs.
- Through participation in GEAR UP activities, students will become aware of the world outside their local community and become motivated to set ambitious goals for their education and career aspirations.
- Project goals, objectives, and expected outcomes specifically address the identified needs of targeted students, parents, and teachers, and seek to reduce the magnitude of the educational, social, and professional problems facing these groups.
GEAR UP Programs include:
- Tutoring – Free online tutoring with Smarthinking™ and after school tutoring programs.
- Mentoring – Free mentoring services available. Please contact your school’s GEAR UP Academic Advisor or Counselor for more information.
- Faculty and administration development for all cohort schools/teachers.
- Cultural and educational field trips. Available free of charge to all GEAR UP participants. (Parent involvement is encouraged)
- Scholarship opportunities!
- National Council for Community and Education Partnerships (NCCEP)
- U.S. Department of Education – GEAR UP Website
GEAR UP IS FEDERALLY FUNDED BY THE UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION AND SPONSORED BY ENMU-ROSWELL
The contents of this publication were developed under a grant from the Department of Education. However, those contents do not necessarily represent the policy of the Department of Education, and you should not assume endorsement by the Federal Government. PR/Award # P334A110054 Amount: $1,380,800.00 (100% Federal Funds) and $1,383,800.00 (100.22% Non-Federal Sources)
“Smarthinking Free 24/7 Online Tutoring”
Please visit your school’s GEAR UP Academic Advisor or Counselor for login information.
Below are other websites that can come to your aid wherever you have internet access:
- Find over 100 instant-answer, self-help, math solvers, ready to provide you with instant help on math problems.
- Help with Math, English, Science, Social Studies, etc.
- PBS: Explore different topics *Useful for research and book reports
- Online Dictionary
- This site was built by the U.S. Department of Education in collaboration with students to help you reach your college dream: www.ed.gov and www.college.gov
- Best Steps to College: Helping high school students follow the path to college.
- ROSWELL INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT (RISD) PARENTS: POWERSCHOOL™
RISD parents interested in reviewing their student’s information including grades and attendance in real time, may register for access via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Parents wishing to activate an account should provide the following information within the body of their email:
1. Name of the student(s)
2. Grade level of the student(s)
3. Date of birth of the student(s)
4. School(s) student(s) attend
- Family Education – Excellent website for parents of teens! Check it out!!!
- U.S. Department of Education – GEAR UP Parent Webpage
- New Mexico Higher Education Department
- NBC News Parent Toolkit to help parents participate in their children’s academic success and personal growth
- National Staff Development Council
- Open-source teacher-generated curriculum materials for K-12 language arts
- CollegeEd®Creating a College-Going Culture Guide
- ACT Information for K-12 Educators
- Exploring Literacy in Cyberspace
- Access to practices and resources in reading and language arts instruction lessons, web resources, etc.
- Access to teaching resources and student activities
- Best Practices that provide teachers (and administrators) with a wide range of self-guided professional development
Hagerman High School
Academic & GEAR-UP Advisor
(575) 752-3450 / Ext. 3004