The Special Services Department provides services to students with disabilities to ensure accessibility to university programs. For academic purposes, our services include disability related information, referral information, extended testing, reader services, note taking assistance, books on CD, large print exams, scribe services, adaptive technology, and sign language interpreter services. Academic accommodations are provided to eligible students free of charge.  We are also a resource for tutoring services, study skills, community resources, and disability awareness.

According to the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, a disability is defined as a mental or physical impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities: self-care, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, learning, and working.  If you have a disability impacting your academic performance, provide current documentation by a qualified professional and schedule an appointment with the Special Services Department.  The student is responsible for delivering the accommodations form (generated during the meeting) to his/her instructors. Students are encouraged to meet with their instructors to discuss their testing and other accommodations at the beginning of each semester. Colleges are not required to conduct or provide testing. The student is responsible for providing current documentation. Students with disabilities have the right to equal access to courses, programs, activities, services, and facilities and are entitled to reasonable accommodations. All information about the student’s disability is kept confidential. Students are responsible for disclosing the disability to the Special Services Department and registering with the department if they require accommodations. The Special Services Department reserves the right to request additional information.

For a diagnosis of Learning Disability, ADHD, and other psychological disorders, a neuropsychological examination, psychological, or psychoeducational evaluation is required. Objective evidence of a substantial limitation must be provided. The evaluator’s name, professional credential relevant to the diagnosis, and his/her contact information must be documented;  documentation must be on letterhead, typed, dated, and signed.

Mainstream students are referred to the Developmental Studies Lab to set up tutoring services.

How to register with the Special Services Department:

  1. Apply to be accepted for admission to ENMU-Roswell through regular admission process. You can fill out the online application for admissions here.
  2. Contact the Special Services Department and set up an appointment. Contact information is provided on the Special Services home page.
  3. Provide the department with current and comprehensive documentation of a diagnosed disability.
  4. After documentation is reviewed, schedule meeting with the director or deputy director to determine appropriate accommodations at the beginning of each semester.