The ENMU-Roswell Associate of Applied Science in Dental Hygiene provides the didactic and clinical skills necessary to meet today’s changing oral health care needs. The program in dental hygiene is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation and has been granted the accreditation status of “initial accreditation”. The Commission is a specialized accrediting body recognized by the United States Department of Education. The Commission on Dental Accreditation can be contacted at (312) 440-4653 or at 211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611.
The Associate Degree in Dental Hygiene Program prepares program graduates to become members of the dental health team dedicated to helping individuals maintain oral health and prevent disease. The Dental Hygienist is qualified by education and licensure to provide direct patient care prescribed by the dentist, to remove deposits and stains from the teeth, expose and develop dental x-ray films, and perform various other preventative and therapeutic services related to oral health care. Among other duties, the Dental Hygienist educates individuals and groups of patients in proper preventive measures and explains the relationship between diet, smoking, general health and oral health.
The Dental Hygiene Program is dedicated to the following mission:
- To provide opportunities for individuals in the ENMU-Roswell service area to study the field of Dental Hygiene
- To foster partnerships with dental offices and other dental facilities in the region
- To provide clinically competent dental hygienists who will give excellent patient care.
- To prepare graduates to site for the national credentialing examination.
- To provide continuing education opportunities for dental personnel
Dental Hygiene Program Goals:
- To assure that students are able to demonstrate knowledge of all didactic courses in the pre-admission and dental hygiene curriculum.
- To provide clinically competent graduates.
- To provide graduates who practice safety principles for the protection of patients, selves, and others.
- To provide continuing education courses in order for area dental personnel to obtain the necessary continuing education courses.
- To engage in continuous self analysis and improvement.
Dental Hygiene Clinic
The Dental Hygiene Program operates a dental hygiene clinic currently located at the New Mexico Rehabilitation Center. Please follow the link to the dental hygiene clinic to obtain additional information about these low cost services. Services in the clinic are free to ENMU students.