General Requirements of Air Traffic Control?
Per the 2010 Federal Aviation Regulations and Aeronautical Information Manual the requirements for an Air Traffic Controller are as follows:

  • Be a United States citizen
  • In most cases, not have reached age 31
  • Pass a Class 2 plus medical examination
  • Pass a security investigation and a background check
  • Have three years of progressive and responsible work experience and/or study leading to a bachelor's degree, or some combination of the two
  • Achieve a score of at least 70 on the FAA pre-employment test
  • Speak English clearly without an accent and concisely enough to be understood over communications equipment
  • Complete an FAA interview

After graduation am I guaranteed employment?
No, the student is responsible for seeking employment by the FAA, however; CTI graduates will receive preferential treatment above the public hire applicants.

I've graduated the CTI program, now what?
After graduation a student must then take a pre employment aptitude test (score at least in the 70 percentile) obtain an official school recommendation, pass a background and drug scan and complete an interview administered by the FAA.

I already have the degree why must I attend the academy in Oklahoma after graduation?
The academy is a requirement for all public hires, CTI graduates, and Prior military personnel. Although the CTI graduates are obligated to attend there is a substantial amount of time reduction for having the ATC degree.

Who controls and operates the Air Route Traffic Control (ARTC) Center and the Airport Traffic Control Tower (ATCT)?
The Federal Aviation Administration manages and supervises all activity in both the ARTC and ATCT.

If I later wanted to peruse a career as an Air Traffic Controller internationally would I have to learn a new language?
No, the universal language of aviation is clear and concise English.

Do Air Traffic Controllers utilize the phonetic alphabet daily?
Yes, controllers use the phonetic alphabet in place of saying the letter itself.

How many En Route Air Traffic Control Centers are there in the United States?
There are 21 En Route Facilities in the Upper Continental United States. 

How many credits do I need for graduation?
The program is intertwined with both ATC and general education courses but has a required total amount of 60 college credit hours. (2 years, see degree plan tab)

Is Eastern New Mexico University Roswell accredited?
Yes, we are one of the 31 FAA approved ATC-CTI schools across the US.

Is the Private Pilot Class (offered in first semester) an actual Private Pilot Ground School?
Yes the ground school offered is FAA approved. In order to take the written test, a student must maintain a C or above throughout the course and achieve a 70 or better on the final exam. At the end of the semester, based upon course performance the instructor may provide you with a written endorsement. The test will cost 100 dollars.

What are the ways of becoming a controller?
There are three ways of becoming an air traffic controller, including: have prior controller experience in the military, complete an FAA approved AT-CTI program at a certified university, or be hired though the public announcement and application process.

What are the advantages of a CTI School?
These programs implemented at CTI schools are designed and closely monitored by the FAA. We teach solid base knowledge for the profession and the CTI graduates earn preferential treatment over that of public hire applicants.

Is the job economically stable?
Yes, the need for air traffic controllers is at an all time high because of the early retirement age of 56.

What is a 2nd class medical examination entail?
Applicants for initial appointment to air traffic control specialist positions must comply with the following requirements:

I am a high school senior, what are my next steps?
The first step a student should take is making an appointment to speak with your academic advisor at your current high school and express your interest in attending the CTI program at ENMUR. Your advisor should make contact with the admissions and advising offices here, or you may go to . After completing the application process you may then enroll in the suggested classes from the current degree plan. Some students may choose to complete various financial aid applications and/or live at the college dorm rooms located on campus.

Are transfer students accepted?
Transfer students are accepted and awarded prior credits that correlate with the ATC degree plan.

I already have an Associate, Bachelor, or other type of college degree, what are my next steps?
If a student already has a college degree and is seeking further enrollment in the CTI program, they must contact Angie Wellman. Ms. Wellman is an academic advisor here on campus that assisted ENMUR with obtaining accreditation for the CTI Program. After the university has fully received your transcripts from all previous colleges she will then audit your course credits enroll you in the appropriate courses for graduation.

I am in my mid 20's do I still have time to pursue a career as an Air Traffic Controller with the FAA?
One of the most frequently asked question is if I am in my mid 20's do I have time to complete the program and get hired by the FAA.  Well there are a few things that you need to know, the FAA will not hear you after the age of 31 as an air traffic controller.  If you are able to complete your schooling which can take 1-2 years and have time to complete the academy in Oklahoma City which takes 3 months and get hired by the FAA  by the age of 31 you can become a controller.

Where can I find Information regarding financial aid?
Simply navigate your browser to, and click the student services tab and locate the financial aid icon.

Would you like to speak with a counselor or schedule a tour?
A student may speak with a counselor regarding the CTI program by making an appointment with one of the four academic advisors on campus prior to the first day of classes. Students may also set up an appointment with the ATC advisor, Deborah Abingdon, or the assistant dean of academic affairs, Dusty Manning. New students may also attend the freshmen/transfer orientation at the beginning of each semester or contact an advisor for a campus tour Monday through Thursday at 7:30 am to 6 pm and Friday 8 am to 12 pm at (575) 624-7163.